Purees don’t have to be boring! They can be delicious enough for the whole family to enjoy. This puree is bright, flavorful and super easy to make. I love pear and ginger as a flavor combination, and I also love carrot and ginger, so I thought let’s see what happens when we do all three together! The result was: yum!
I frequently throw veggies in to smoothies and purees, partially to have more nutrients, but definitely to tone down the sweetness of the fruit by itself. Carrot is also a great addition to make things smooth and creamy (think pasta sauces and soups).
Some ways to enjoy this for older kids are as a side dish or on top of quinoa/rice/pasta. This would also make a great dip maybe for spring rolls (you could add in soy sauce to balance the ginger/sweetness). This could even be served as an appetizer soup!
- 1 large or 2 small pears, cubed (peeling optional)
- 1 large carrot, peeled cubed
- 1 small slice peeled fresh ginger
- In a steamer basket, steam carrots pear and ginger until fork tender, reserve water Alternatively, leave the pears raw and just cook the carrots
- Blend all ingredients in high speed blender until smooth. Start with less ginger if you don't prefer the taste. Add a bit of reserved water at a time as needed if not blending.
- (optional) Thicken with a bit of oat flour or thin with more water until desired consistency
- Serve as a puree, a snack sauce/smoothie, a dip or a topping!