One of the reasons I think I don’t miss cheese anymore is because I’m not addicted to it, and the other reason is because of things like cashew crema! Cashews are so rich and fatty and blend so smoothly, that cashew sauces make the perfect replacement for sour cream and cheese on top of nachos or enchiladas! I haven’t gotten super into the packaged vegan cheeses, but this stuff is amazing. Look at that gorgeous , natural light green color, sure to entice the little ones into tasting it! (I sound like the Hansel and Gretel witch right now, but I like to lure kids into eating nature’s food, not candy).
This sauce has many uses. My favorite ways to serve it are alone as a dip, swirled on top of beans, in a grilled sandwich, drizzled over tacos/enchiladas/nachos, or even tossed with steamed or raw veggies to create a delicious finger salad. If cashews weren’t so expensive, I would have some version of cashew sauce or cashew dessert (omg, just wait!) all the time!
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ to ⅓ cup unflavored non dairy milk as needed
- salt to taste (I would do ¼ tsp)
- ½ tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Soak cashews in very hot water for 30 minutes
- Drain cashews and add all ingredients to high speed blender starting with ¼ cup milk
- Blend until smooth, thick and not quite pourable
- Add more milk a splash at a time as needed to blend smoothly
- Taste and adjust flavors to your liking
- Serve as a dip, spread or topping