I love smoothies that have a unique taste! I got the idea of adding tahini to a smoothie from a tiny vegan restaurant in Phoenix, Illinois (where I would have never expected to find a vegan restaurant!). I didn’t know what to expect but the tahini taste was noticeable and enjoyable! I didn’t try to recreate their smoothie, but, one day, I put some tahini into my go to berry-banana smoothie base and I was in love. It gives the smoothie a deeper flavor and it’s quite frankly delicious. This is a great way to introduce a new flavor into a tired smoothie. Grab your blender and give this chia tahini smoothie a try!
This simple smoothie only has 5 ingredients: mixed berries, bananas, chia seeds, tahini, and your liquid of choice.Add everything to the blender and blend until completely smooth. A high speed blender is highly recommended due to the chia seeds and the berry seeds, but if you don’t have one and don’t mind a little bumpiness from the seeds, then it should work out just fine. Enjoy!
- 1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup mixed berries (frozen)*
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup liquid of choice*
- Place all ingredients into high speed blender*. If your banana is frozen, cut it into smaller chunks
- Blend from low to high until smooth. You may need more liquid, especially if using frozen bananas.
- Taste to see if there are too many seed pieces; blend until they are smooth.
*I recommend at least one of the fruits be frozen (the banana or the berries)]
* If you do not have a high speed blender you may not be able to achieve a perfectly smooth smoothie. You can try adding more liquid and blending longer, but you will lose thickness.